i cant believe i'm doing this. i've been playing this game for at least a decade. i can't stop. send help
i'm only going to talk about spyro 1 because the only other spyro game i like is riptos rage...but i dont know shit about that game technically
> HOW TO PLAY LIKE GOKU
(this is 99.9% real advice, but also 95% conjecture. corrections will be added regularly so take it with a grain of salt)
- remember ABCD: always be charging daingus. charging attacks kill small enemies and you honestly only need to flame big ones and thieves*
- *there are some exceptions where its useful to flame small enemies but i'll get to that
- here's an important thing, flame-charging. if you roll/rock your thumb between square and circle very quickly, spyro will lift his head for a split second and spit flames while keeping his charge momentum. you dont have to stop charging to flame.
- treat flames as an extention of spyro because they travel with him. if you need to kill an enemy but you need some range to do it (say, the attack frogs or shitty plant things in misty bog) keep it in mind that you can flame way before you get close to them and it'll get em
- oh yeah, about this. you know how when you charge boxes and enemies, the gems fly towards you. almost all enemies have a range where this triggers and you charging just so happens to keep you inside it. its like a donut where the center extends a little out past them. if you flame-charge an enemy while youre in this donut the gems will fly towards you as long as youre still moving. this is probably psuedo science bc i havent torn into how the game actually functions but its experiential so it should work fine
- uh, sparx has a pathetic range in this game. he can only grab gems that are a "spyro-length" away, and only gems that are on the same plane as you. he can't grab anything directly below or above you. i learned this the hard way
- holding x while charging makes you go a bit faster; particularly noticeable on steep slopes
- DONT FUCKING TRIANGLE-LOOK, just jump into pits blindly until you can mentally calculate your trajectory correctly
- jumping immediately after you charge gives you a tiny bit of height. maybe the hspeed flows into the vspeed or something.
- if you glide directly after you jump spyro does a dainty little sissy animation where he spreads his wings for a fraction of a second. you can skip this by charging and immediately pressing x after to glide. just flick or roll your thumb from square to x. just try not to fuck it up or else you will likely dive into an abyss
- when you're gliding, watch spyros back feet. if they're over a surface you want to land on, it's almost always safe to charge out of your glide to land on it faster. just be careful if youre landing on small platforms